Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Permanent Secretary Nick Mangwana has dismissed fake social media claims that President Mnangagwa has deferred schools opening by a further two weeks.
In a statement on Twitter earlier today, Mangwana said there has not been a change on schools’ calendar so far.
“We have taken note of messages circulating on the WhatsApp platform alleging that the President has deferred the opening of schools by two weeks. That is not correct. Should there be a change regarding the opening of schools, Govt will make a formal announcement,” said Mangwana.
Schools are set to open next Monday for Second Term but a spike in Covid-19 cases has seen Government imposing localised lockdowns to contain the pandemic.
This has seen educationist unions lobbying Government to postpone the reopening of schools until the end of winter.